Monday, October 1, 2012

Is it okay for HIV/AIDS women to bring children into the world


Is it okay for HIV/AIDS women to bring children into the world?
Do you know someone who's done this? Should there be a law passed to prevent the purposeful spread of this disease? Why would this be okay? Why would this NOT be okay? Even if there was a tiny chance that baby could be infected would you actually do it???
Other - Diseases - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
there are drugs the mother can take that keep her baby from acquiring the HIV.
2 :
I don't know anybody who has done that. To me that is sick. Why would you bring a child into the world; knowing he/she might have AIDS. That's so unfair to the child. Just imagine what that child would go through. This is depressing even talking about it.
3 :
The first responder is correct, their are drugs to treat this. The problem is that those drugs cost $2,000 -10,000 per month. Can the average person afford this? What will be the fate of the child if the contract HIV? Their whole life on drugs (10 years?) at say $2,000 per month 12 months a year ($120,000 per year just for the drugs conservatively)? Do we have the right to make a child go through that kind of life? What will happen when the child's mother eventually succomes to HIV? How old will that child be (5? 10?)? This is very precarious moral ground. I woudl be in favor of sterilization of anyone who has AIDS/HIV for the public good. This woudl not be popular, but what are the alternatives? If it were me personally, I woudl not subject my child to a lifetime of such horror. I am not in favor of abortion, but in this case it may be the more merciful thing to do. This is a very tough choice. Unfortunately, I have some experience with a similar choice. I had to make the choice as to the level of care for my own child who was shaken nearly to death some 5 months ago by her babysitter. At one point I had to make the choice to put a Do Not Resusitate on my own 15 1/2 month old child and ok organ donation protocols for her. I know a thing or two about such tough choices. They are not easy to make. Sometime the choice must be to end a child's suffering before it becomes too much. I, as a father, cannot understand making a child suffer. Bringing a child into this world with a mother who is HIV positive and their being a high likelyhood that the child will also be HIV positive is a choice I wound not make. I could not subject a child to that kind of life. Could you?



Read more discussions :