Saturday, November 24, 2012

should my fear of contractin hiv/aids/hepatitis c stop me from becoming a nurse


should my fear of contractin hiv/aids/hepatitis c stop me from becoming a nurse?
I am a phlebotomist as of right now waiting to get into a bsn program...im more worried about the chance of contracting the disease through needle
Infectious Diseases - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
nooooooo!!!!! that should not stop you whatsoever.. you are trained as a nurse the best procedures to take care of urself... remember becoming a nurse is what will give u the opportunity to help others... in a safe way.. .so ull def be ok... and dont doubt about becoming a nurse... it is awesome to feel how other are grateful when u have done something for them.. but dont become a nurse just because you will get pay good.. become a nurse because ull feel u can do so much for others who are hiv/aid/hepatitis positive and many many other diseases.. cuz remember youll have to treat everyone the same way.... but always following the procedures u are very well teach in school.. :)
2 :
definately not!! i am going to start training as a doctor in september, but i think as long as you are careful ie wearing gloves etc when examining patients then you will be fine! you cant contract hiv from skin contact or even through saliva(unless you drink a pint or something stupid!!). if you want to be a nurse then dont let anything stand in your way because it is such a rewarding job and you are helping to save lives!!
3 :
It isn't stopping me. I know what you mean though. Iam going to start my clinical hours for Phlebotomy (eventually will be a nurse too) and I am so scared I will get poked by the needle. But you know they are always making safer and safer needles that can minimize the risk. In Phlebotomy class, they showed us one needle that when you are done, you push a button and the needle withdrawals and is pulled in so it will not poke you. But you know what AIDS is really less likely to catch from a needle because the virus is really fragile and dies very wuickly after leaving the body. I believe we learned only 0.3% of health care workers poked by a needle catch HIV. Hepatitis C is something to worry about though. I believe that was something like 3-7%. You just have to be really careful and I think in time your fear will lessen as you get really good. Its when you are too nervous or too cocky that most accidents happen and sometimes patients can jump, but I think you will be fine.



Read more discussions :