Saturday, April 12, 2008

Why am I so freaked out about getting HIV/AIDS


Why am I so freaked out about getting HIV/AIDS?
Hi, well here is goes. I'm in Middle School and I learned about HIV/AIDS last year in health class. At first I didn't think anything of it, like it could never happen to me. But then I started freaking out about it, like whenever I see blood I start thinking about getting it and I get scared. I know it's kinda silly, thats what my parents say. I talk to them about it and they say I won't get it, but I'm just always scared and I can't enjoy anything without worrying all the time. I'm also worried that I my family could get it or that people I meet could have it. I know this might make me sound really weird. How do I just try to relax and enjoy life? Please help!
STDs - 6 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
It doesn't sound like you are over reacting to me. If you see blood, don't touch it. HiV is some serious stuff. Whoever is telling you that you will never get it is deceiving you. Anyone can potentially be infected by it.
2 :
Relax, despite how easy they say it is to get, it isn't that easy. Why? Every year there are thousands of needle accidents by medical professionals handling needle that have HIV infected blood on them. Some years there are no cases of new infection from these accidents despite the many exposers to the infected blood. Every year thousands of people have sex with a person who is infected. Most of them still are uninfected. It only takes one case of unprotected sex to be infected by HIV, but it may take a thousand incedents of sex for that one infection to occure. If the above wasn't true, then most people would be infected by HIV by now.
3 :
As long as you practice safe sex when you do start an active sex life you should be fine. Be careful who you do have sex with. You cannot get it by being in contact with people who have it unless you happen to touch an open wound on their body with an open wound on yours. The best way to conquer your fear is to educate yourself about HIV and how one gets it and how to avoid getting it. Knowledge is a powerful tool. Go to the following website and read and get more info....it will help you. http://bbs.thebody.com/index/whatis/children.html http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/default.htm http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HIV
4 :
If it prevents you doing everyday things then it is a problem, it sounds like you may have OCD. You should speak to your parents again and make sure they understand how much it is affecting you. My fiancee has severe OCD and like you is terrified of contracting HIV. It stops her living everyday life, she is scared to even go out. You should go and speak to your doctor about how you are feeling, and he should be able to help. Good luck. P.S It doesn't make you sound weird, it is actually a very common fear.
5 :
I understand exactly where you're coming from, because I am the same way. The best way to get rid of these fears, especially if they are so intense that they rid you of enjoyment, is to see a therapist. They will not only help you get a handle on your fears, but they will also help you discover what is causing them. Good luck!
6 :
you have to be the same blood type in order to get hiv from infected blood. me being a 0 - would make it easy as 45% of ppl are 0



Read more discussions :