Thursday, January 1, 2009

Are people actually aware of the danger of being affected with HIV/AIDS and other STDs


Are people actually aware of the danger of being affected with HIV/AIDS and other STDs?
I read the statistics last night to get the precise numbers on who is affected and how many, and I am proud to say I'm a 'bonafied virgin :-) I was already cautious about even dating, but now I wonder if I could really trust men to tell the truth. Here's the link so you can inform yourself on what others won't tell you: http://www.avert.org/ Only you can protect yourself!
Other - Health - 1 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Most people that I know are well aware of the dangers of HIV/AIDS and other STDs. The act of just having sex itself is not the problem - its knowing your partner's history, and whether or not they're being truthful to you as far as their HIV status. Prime example - One of my best friends, "Tom" (not his real name) was bisexual, married to a woman for 20 years. She died from cancer 10 years ago, and after that, Tom decided to pursue a gay life. On his very first visit to a gay bar, Tom met "Dan" (not his real name) and was instantly smitten. Tom and Dan began a whirlwind romance, they were very happy together for about 5 years, and then Dan announced to Tom as well as the rest of his friends that he was HIV positive, and had been positive for 10 years, he KNEW he was positive but never told Tom, and they had been having unprotected sex for 5 years. Dan had told Tom several times over those 5 years that he was negative, that he had continued to test negative, and this was all a lie. Tom got an HIV test almost immediately, and unfortunately, the test result came up positive. Tom remained healthy and vibrant for the next 5 years, he was perhaps one of my best friends, if not my #1 best friend, he was the kindest, gentlest, most understanding, humorous, loving man I've ever known, and he had 5 good years after testing positive. Then, in January 2010, Tom got a cold that wouldn't go away. The first week of February, Tom drove himself to the hospital and was admitted to a regular nursing floor with Pneumocystic Carinii Pneumonia (common in people with full blown AIDS). He spent two weeks with his condition remaining the same, he wasn't getting any better. February 20, Tom developed blood clots (DVTs) in his legs, and his blood pressure was low, so he was transferred to the ICU (intensive care unit). On February 21, Tom developed bleeds in his stomach and intestines. He was taken for surgery twice to stop the bleeding, and, every time, the bleeding began again within hours after surgery. Tom died February 24, 2010 at 9:11pm at the age of 49. I was at his bedside holding his hand when he died, I saw him take his last breath. Tom's death was perhaps the saddest thing that I've ever been through in my life, I still grieve and will for a long time, I can't believe he's gone. This didn't have to happen. Tom didn't lead a dangerous life. Tom wasn't promiscuous. Tom didn't sleep around, he didn't have one night stands, he never cheated on any partner he was with. But because Dan wouldn't be truthful about his HIV status, my best friend is dead. Meanwhile, Dan is on the HIV meds and is healthy. He posts things on Facebook and MySpace about how much he misses he "lover" Tom, and I see him posting things such as "I'm looking to meet a nice man who I can spend the rest of my life with"....I wonder if he'll tell the next one that he's positive, or if he'll murder a few more people too.



Read more discussions :