Friday, May 1, 2009

Is It Possible To Get HIV/AIDS From A Mechanical Pencil Stab


Is It Possible To Get HIV/AIDS From A Mechanical Pencil Stab?
Someone in my English class stabbed me with a mechanical pencil this year and everyone says that the person who stabbed me has AIDS. I had seen him stab hiself with that same pencil and I notcied he never changed the lead. In one of my later classes I noticed I was bleeding in the same spot he stabbed me. My family says this is not possible, but I'm still wondering about it. Is this possible or is it just a stupid rumor and a bad question?
STDs - 1 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Under labaratory conditions, it might be possible to use a pencil to transmit the disease from one person to another, but it would be difficult. The HIV virus does not survive well outside a human body. While you mention the lead from the pencil was not changed, if he wrote with it at all the lead (actually graphite) that touched his skin is gone, left behind on paper (or bathroom walls, books...). A person with HIV exhibiting such behavior should be expelled from school at once. A HIV+ person needs to understand that this kind of fooling around is unnacceptable. It is not clear from your question if the person truly has HIV, but a trip to the school nurse is in order. If the school knows that this person is HIV+, you should see a result. I think this kind of behavior is like pointing an unloaded gun at someone; it may be safe but it doesn't feel good!
2 :
You have the right to worry about this incident. Theoretically, you can get the virus especially if involves fluid transmission, such as blood. if this problem burdens you so much, I suggest you to have a blood test done.



Read more discussions :