Thursday, February 4, 2010

Can HIV/AIDS positive nurses still care for patients


Can HIV/AIDS positive nurses still care for patients?
I was curious and tried to find this info on the Board of Registered Nursing website and could not find any information on this issue. I find it somewhat concerning that infected nurses could be caring for people in the hospital or doctor's office. I would really appreciate if anyone could give me links also
Other - Health - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Not sure about that, but Nurses are trained either way to care for a patient. They should not be discriminated because of a disease.
2 :
I'm sure they could. I mean I don't think that nurses get tested for HIV/AIDS before they can get a job. I don't think it would be a problem as long as the nurse takes the right precautions and doesn't do anything that involves bloody things. It wouldn't be right for an affected nurse to do any surgeries or be in an emergency room, but i don't see a problem for HIV nurses working in a place where the patient wouldn't be exposed.
3 :
In the US, all health care workers use what is called "universal precautions." This is the practice of using body substance isolation tools like gloves, goggles/mask, and gown when necessary. This helps ensure the safety of not only the provider, but also the patient. HIV+ health care providers are able and allowed to give care.



Read more discussions :